I spent quite a bit of extra time at the supermarket early in the week studying nutritional panels. I was amazed at the different levels of sugars in different foods. Sometimes different brands of the same food had dramatically different sugar levels.
I actually found that the 'home brand' products which are usually sold much cheaper had higher sugar levels than the brand name variety of the same food. This concerned me greatly as I generally try to save money by purchasing the generic products when I think they taste as same as their more expensive branded competitors. Obviously they need more additives or flavour enhancers (including sugar) to get the same flavour results.
I don’t usually snack too much during my work day, however this week I have felt that I needed something extra during the day. I found these really yummy veggie chips in the health food section of the grocery store. “Ajitas Vege Deli Crisps” they came in a 90g bag for about $3. The suggested serving size is 26g, so my trusty scales & zip log bags came out and as soon as I got home I split that big bag up into the individual servings. I then took 1 little serving to work each day, and left the others at home (portion control!). The total kj’s per serving is 562kj, or 132 calories – which is a little higher than I would like to see for an everyday snack, but for a ‘once off’ chippy treat I don’t see a problem – perfect for when you desire some extra salt.
I’m actually going to have a go at making my own crisps using sweet potato, potato & kale, so if it works I’ll give you the recipe next week.
I took the approach of 'easing' myself into the challenge as I didn't want to simply throw out or waste some of the foods I had in the fridge. I was caught unawares on a couple of occasions like when I went for a run & grabbed my usual banana as I ran out the door (side note here. Fruit is allowed on the program, but it's best to stick to lower fructose varieties & bananas unfortunately are one of the bad guys)
I also had the situation when I spent the weekend at our good friends farm. I didn't give the challenge any thought as I nibbled down on home made panacotta and a sneaky wine. I believe in balance & in this situation the 80/20 rule has to come into play. If I do well 80% of the time I can enjoy the other 20%.
My exercise levels for this week were actually lower than usual, as my husband was away for work and I couldn’t get out for a run with the toddler. I failed in my usual attempt to do ‘tv commercial break’ core & body weight exercises. Next week I'll be focusing on getting more exercise in to my days to really boost the results of the program.
So that was my week, it's too early for me to determine a success or failure. I'm feeling good. Empowered & energetic. My weight on the scales has dropped 600g, which I would count as a positive (although weight loss is not one of my focuses)
Until next week have a great week!